ED CARPENTER RACING READIES TWO CAR EFFORT FOR THE ANGIE’S LIST GRAND PRIX OF INDIANAPOLIS
ECR Will Field Dual Preferred Freezer Services Chevrolets for J.R. Hildebrand and Josef Newgarden in This Weekend’s Road Course Race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
(SPEEDWAY, Ind.) May 10, 2016 – Advance Notes
- J.R. Hildebrand will make his return to Verizon IndyCar Series competition this weekend when he joins Ed Carpenter Racing teammate Josef Newgarden in the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis. The road course race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway kicks off the on-track portion of Month of May and precedes the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 at the end of the month.
- Hildebrand and Newgarden were part of Ed Carpenter Racing’s (ECR) three-car effort during last year’s Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis (ALGPI). Newgarden’s car was damaged after he was hit from behind heading into the first turn of the first lap. Hildebrand was able to run in the Top 5 before an issue in the pit lane dropped him to the back of the field.
- The 2.439-mile, 14-turn road course at IMS incorporates portions of Turns 1 and 2 and the frontstraight of the famed oval, with the remainder of the circuit in the infield. The event debuted in 2014, with Newgarden competing in both events to date and Hildebrand making his first start in 2015.
- Both Hildebrand and Newgarden’s cars will carry the blue and white colors of Preferred Freezer Services during this year’s event. PFS offers the most modern, state-of-the-art, full service temperature-controlled warehouses in the United States.
- Hildebrand will return to the ALGPI with his familiar No. 6 Preferred Freezer Services Chevrolet; Newgarden will campaign a new No. 21 Preferred Freezer Services livery. Both drivers will attempt to qualify for the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 in the same colors later in the month.
- IndyCar most recently raced at Barber Motorsports Park in late April. Newgarden earned his first podium finish of the year, finishing third after starting from the same position. He currently sits 8th in the championship point standings.
- Hildebrand has joined ECR for the last three IndyCar events at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, including the past two Indianapolis 500s and the 2015 Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
- Ed Carpenter Racing is headquartered mere blocks south of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Main Street in Speedway. Team owner Ed Carpenter will join Hildebrand and Newgarden for the Indianapolis 500 with practice beginning on May 16, just two days after the ALGPI. The trio of drivers earned the nicknamed “Team America” in 2015 when ECR was the only multi-car team with an all-American line up in the Indianapolis 500. Hildebrand hails from Sausalito, Calif.; Newgarden is a native of Hendersonville, Tenn.; Carpenter, from Indianapolis, is a hometown favorite.
- ECR also holds the distinction of fielding two Indy Lights champions. Hildebrand and Newgarden both won the championship before graduating to the Verizon IndyCar Series; Hildebrand in 2009 with Newgarden following in 2011.
- Practice for the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis begins on Thursday, May 12. The 82-lap race will be broadcast live on ABC, starting at 3:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, May 14.
JR HILDEBRAND, NO. 6 PREFERRED FREEZER SERVICES CHEVROLET: “I can’t wait for the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis, not only because it’s my first time back in the car this season, but because I really enjoyed the track and event last year. It’s a great way to kick off the month. Even though the other guys will be coming in with a little more recent seat time, I expect to be competitive very quickly with a good car from the Ed Carpenter Racing boys.”
JOSEF NEWGARDEN, NO. 21 PREFERRED FREEZER SERVICES CHEVROLET: “I’m excited for the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis, it’s a great track. It’s fun to have JR (Hildebrand) back on board, we have a great opportunity to work together and build on last year to get the cars up to the podium. It would be great to start the month off strong with JR and the two Preferred Freezer Services cars, then roll right into the 500 with Ed (Carpenter). I’m looking forward to getting going!”