Will Power POLE NOTES
- Today marks Power’s fifth career Verizon P1 Pole Award on the streets of St. Petersburg.
- Power broke the 13-year-old track record with a lap of 1:00:6509 seconds in the second session
- This is Power’s 15th career Verizon P1 Pole Award on a street course. The last one came on these same St. Petersburg streets in 2013.
- Power’s last pole win was at Sonoma Raceway on August 24, 2014.
- Power has now 37 Verizon P1 Pole Awards in his career. This places him in sixth place on the all-time list.
- Power will be seeking his third career win at St. Petersburg.
Track: Streets of St. Petersburg, Fla.
Race: Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
Date: March 29, 2015
No. 1 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet – Will Power
Speed: 106.767 mph
No. 2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet – Juan Pablo Montoya
Speed: 106.486 mph
No. 3 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet – Helio Castroneves
Speed: 106.517 mph
No. 22 Penske Truck Rental Chevrolet – Simon Pagenaud
Speed: 106.710 mph
Pole Winning Time: 1:00.6931 (Will Power)
Recap: Will Power broke the 13-year-old St. Petersburg track record in the first qualifying session, then topped it again in Q2 as he led Team Penske to a sweep of the first four starting position for the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. New team member Simon Pagenaud will start third, followed by Helio Castroneves and Juan Pablo Montoya. With the move to a four-car team for the first time in the history of the organization, this is the first time Team Penske has swept the top four positions in a qualifying session.