IndyCar Series Veteran Returns to No. 7 DPi Team for Season Finale at Road Atlanta MOORESVILLE, NC (September 4, 2019) – IndyCar Series veteran driver Graham Rahal will return to compete for Acura Team Penske in next month’s Motul Petit Le Mans. Rahal will once again team up with Helio Castroneves and Ricky Taylor in the Acura…
Archives for Team Penske PR
Team Penske IndyCar Series Race Report
Track: World Wide Technology Raceway
Race: Bommarito Automotive Group 500
Date: August 24, 2019
No. 2 PPG Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden
Laps Completed: 248/248
Laps Led: 50
Points Position: 1st (+38 pts)
- After an exciting night race at World Wide Technology Raceway, Josef Newgarden and the No. 2 PPG Dallara/Chevrolet team finished seventh, maintaining their 2019 IndyCar championship points lead by 38 points over teammate Simon Pagenaud.
- Starting on the pole, Newgarden’s race had a strong start leading the first several laps of the event in Madison, Ill. He would go on to lead a total of 50 laps that evening.
- On lap 53, Tim Cindric, team strategist for the No. 2 team called Newgarden to the pits for fuel and tires.
- By lap 100, Newgarden found himself consistently in the top-10 but was hungry to regain the lead position.
- After discussing a vibration earlier in the race, Newgarden pitted for fuel, tires and a front wing adjustment on lap 111. He would take the same adjustments to his Chevrolet on lap 177.
- The team’s final pit stop came on lap 198 for tires, fuel and a front wing adjustment as they continued to fight their way through traffic.
- On the final lap of the race, Newgarden was running low on the track and nearly made contact with Santino Ferrucci causing him to drop from fourth place, ultimately settling for a seventh-place finish.
- Newgarden and team continue to lead IndyCar championship point standings as the series has just two races remaining in the 2019 season.
Quote: “For us tonight, our guys did a great job. Our PPG car was fast. We were better in clean air, which was unfortunate because we got stuck in in dirty air more often than not. I think if we were a little bit better in traffic, we could have made something happen. But they did a great job. Great stops. Good calls from everybody. I’m really proud of the team. Now we’ve just got to try and have a couple of better rounds here to finish the season off.”
No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet – Will Power
Laps Completed: 52/248
Laps Led: 1
Points Position: 5th (-147 pts)
- Will Power and the No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet began Saturday night’s Bommarito Automotive 500 at World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway from the third position, his eighth top-five starting position of 2019.
- For the second consecutive week an early yellow flag stopped the racing action, but when it resumed Power quickly moved his Chevrolet into the second position.
- After radioing to race strategist Roger Penske that he was happy with the balance of the car, Penske called for no adjustments on the first pit stop of the day on lap 52. Unfortunately, while getting up to speed following his service, Power ran high in the third and fourth turns, making contact with the outside wall.
- The damage to the right side of the No. 12 Chevrolet was enough to force Power to retire from the race, finishing 22nd on the day. He remains fifth in the IndyCar Series standings, 147 points behind leader Josef Newgarden.
Quote: “Yeah, the Verizon Chevy was great. The car was really good. I came out on cold tires and just got a little bit out of the groove. And man, it’s like ice. There are so many marbles because they brought the new tire that really sheds the rubber. And, that was going to happen in the race, no matter what. But I guess it’s my bad for getting up there. You just can’t put an inch on that stuff. Man, you just go straight. It sucks for the guys. We had such a good car. They had to hang out all day. We had a good chance.”
No. 22 Menards Dallara/Chevrolet – Simon Pagenaud
Laps Completed: 248/248
Laps Led: 0
Points Position: 2nd (-38 pts)
- While Simon Pagenaud and the No. 22 Menards Dallara/Chevrolet’s fifth-place finish at World Wide Technology Raceway in Madison, Ill. didn’t garner a win, it felt like one as the team moved into second in 2019 IndyCar Series championship point standings with just two races remaining.
- Starting the race in the third position, Pagenaud ran hard towards the front of the field from the beginning of the 248-lap event.
- After complaining about a vibration similar to what teammate Josef Newgarden was experiencing, Pagenaud pitted on lap 50 for fuel, tires and a front wing adjustment.
- By lap 100, Pagenaud was running as fast as the leader and continued to gain speed.
- The No. 22 Chevrolet was called to the pits on lap 112 by team strategist Kyle Moyer where the car was serviced for tires and fuel.
- Running in the eighth position on lap 176, he returned to the pits once again for fuel and tires as part of the pit cycle. Unfortunately, a few laps later on lap 184, Pagenaud was blocked and lost some track position.
- For their final pit stop, Pagenaud brought the No. 22 Menards Chevrolet to the pits for tires and fuel on lap 192.
- Pagenaud continued to charge hard and ultimately settled for a fifth-place finish in the Saturday evening night race.
- Next weekend the series heads to Portland where Pagenaud and the No. 22 Chevrolet finished sixth after starting 22nd. The team plans to improve upon that performance and continue to battle teammate Josef Newgarden for the 2019 IndyCar Series championship.
Quote: “Wow, what a night. That is a race that I am going to be excited to re-watch. Honestly, I really don’t know much about what happened because as a driver you are kind of like a horse. You just have to keep going. We had a really good car and after five laps the car was really, really strong. It had a lot of pace and we could really keep it up through the stint. Really, really struggled on restarts. Just no grip. Some of it is me and some of it, I don’t know what it is. Certainly, some work we need to do. Wow, it was an eventful race. Lots of passing and lots of elbows out, out there and with the strategies, it seemed like it was fun. The fans had a great show tonight.”
Track: Pocono Raceway Race: Pocono 500 Date: August 18, 2019 No. 2 Hitachi Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden Start: 1st Finish: 5th Status: Running Laps Completed: 128/200 (rain-shortened race) Laps Led: 1 Points Position: 1st (+35 pts) Notes: After running a consistent race, Josef Newgarden and the No. 2 Hitachi Dallara/Chevrolet team finished fifth at Pocono Raceway allowing them to continue to lead the IndyCar…
Industry-Leading Transportation Services Company Celebrates its 50th Anniversary in 2019 MOORESVILLE, N.C. (August 13, 2019) – Penske Truck Leasing (PTL), a leading transportation services company, will be the primary sponsor of the No. 22 Penske Truck Rental Dallara/Chevrolet driven by 2019 Indianapolis 500 winner Simon Pagenaud of Team Penske for the IndyCar Series race weekend at Pocono…
Track: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Race: Honda Indy 200 Date: July 28, 2019 No. 2 PPG Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden Start: 3rd Finish: 14th Status: Off Course Laps Completed: 90/90 Laps Led: 11 Points Position: 1st (+16 pts) Notes: It was a tough race for Josef Newgarden and the No. 2 PPG Dallara/Chevrolet team as they battled for valuable championship points at Sunday’s…
Team Penske IndyCar Series Race Report Track: Iowa Speedway Race: Iowa 300 Date: July 21, 2019 No. 2 Hitachi Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden Start: 3rd Finish: 1st Status: Running Laps Completed: 300/300 Laps Led: 245 Points Position: 1st (+29 pts) Notes: Josef Newgarden put on a dominating display by leading 245 laps in Saturday night’s Iowa 300 at Iowa Speedway, his series-leading fourth…
Track: Streets of Toronto Race: Honda Indy Toronto Date: July 14, 2019 ____________________________________ No. 2 Hitachi Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden Start: 5th Finish: 4th Status: Running Laps Completed: 85/85 Laps Led: 0 Points Position: 1st (+4) Notes: Josef Newgarden drove the No. 2 Hitachi Dallara/Chevrolet to an uneventful fourth-place finish on Sunday on the Streets of Toronto and was able…
Track: Road America Race: REV Group Grand Prix at Road America Date: June 23, 2019 No. 2 REV Group Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden Start: 4th Finish: 3rd Status: Running Laps Completed: 55/55 Laps Led: 0 Points Position: 1st (+7 pts) Notes: It was a race full of twists and turns as Josef Newgarden and the No. 2 REV Group Dallara/Chevrolet drove for consistency…
Track: Texas Motor Speedway Race: DXC Technology 600 Date: June 8, 2019 No. 2 Fitzgerald USA Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden Start: 7th Finish: 1st Status: Running Laps Completed: 248/248 Laps Led: 54 Points Position: 1st (+25 pts) Notes: A sizzling weekend at Texas Motor Speedway ended with a victory lane celebration under fire for Josef Newgarden and the No. 2 Fitzgerald USA Dallara/Chevrolet…
Team Penske IndyCar Series Race Report Track: The Raceway at Belle Isle Park Race: Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (Race #2) Date: June 2, 2019 No. 2 Hitachi Dallara/Chevrolet – Josef Newgarden Start: 1st Finish: 19th Status: Running Laps Completed: 49/70 Laps Led: 1 Points Position: 1st (+15 pts) Notes: Josef Newgarden and the No. 2 Hitachi Dallara/Chevrolet team followed up their win…