Carpenter Will Start 4th In Saturday’s 500 Mile Race; Teammate Newgarden Qualifies 12th
(FONTANA, Calif.) June 26, 2015 – Qualifying Notes
* Ed Carpenter will start a career-best 4th in Saturday’s MAVTV 500 at Auto Club Speedway. His previous best qualifying result at the oval race track outside of Los Angeles was 7th in 2013, though he started 5th in 2012 when four cars were moved to the rear of the field after qualifications were completed. It is also his best starting position of the year in the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet.
* Carpenter’s first lap around the two-mile oval was 32.9883 seconds, followed by a second lap of 33.1680 seconds, equating to an average speed of 217.666 miles per hour. Though he was initially third on the speed chart after his run, he was bumped down to fourth as the final cars took the track.
* Josef Newgarden turned laps of 33.3031 seconds and 33.2128 seconds, giving him an average speed of 216.490 miles per hour. His laps in the No. 67 Hartman Oil Chevrolet were good enough to earn him the 12th starting position for tomorrow’s 500-mile race.
* After two hours of practice in the morning and early afternoon, the CFH Racing drivers had set laps that landed them in the Top 10 of the combined practice results. Carpenter had set the 7th fastest time of the day and Newgarden the 9th.
* Auto Club Speedway has been the backdrop of much success for CFH Racing, with Carpenter winning the 2012 MAVTV 500 with a final-lap pass over Dario Franchitti. It was his first victory as both an owner and driver. The Indianapolis native found himself on the podium again in 2013 (2nd place) and 2014 (3rd place).
* Carpenter is the only driver to finish on the podium in each race since the Verizon IndyCar Series returned to Auto Club Speedway in 2012 after a six-year hiatus.
* The 24-year-old Newgarden is having a career-best season since joining the Verizon IndyCar Series four years ago, capturing two wins in the past seven races. His victory at Barber Motorsports Park in late April was the first of his IndyCar career. The Hendersonville, Tenn.-native has finished in the Top 10 of half of the events this year.
* With his win two weeks ago in Toronto, Newgarden joined Juan Pablo Montoya and Scott Dixon as two-time winners through 10 races this season. CFH Racing is now ranked with Team Penske and Chip Ganassi Racing as the only teams with multiple victories in so far in 2015.
* The 2015 MAVTV 500 will feature 250 laps and is one of three 500-mile events on this year’s schedule. The race will be broadcast live on NBC Sports Network at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 27.
ED CARPENTER, NO. 20 FUZZY’S AWARD WINNING VODKA CHEVROLET, QUALIFIED 4TH: “We had a good qualifying run, that was a lot better than we’ve been able to show on the first two ovals. The win and second place in Toronto gave us good momentum and the week off was really good, too. We had been struggling on the ovals and the week off really gave us a chance to get immersed in what our problems were and come up with some good ideas to come here and get back on track. I just have to thank all the guys on the team, mechanics, engineers, everybody, for putting in the hard work to get the cars driving nice again.”
JOSEF NEWGARDEN, NO. 67 HARTMAN OIL CHEVROLET, QUALIFIED 12TH: “I was surprised, when I saw Ed (Carpenter’s) lap I got excited, but we didn’t have the same speed. The car was good and will be good for tomorrow, we just didn’t have the speed tonight. Ed has always been good in the race here and hopefully that helps us tomorrow. We definitely did a lot of homework after Texas. The break was good, not just for me but for the entire team. We had more time to prep our cars more than most races and that has paid off here so far.”