NEWGARDEN REACHES FIRESTONE FAST SIX IN TOYOTA GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH QUALIFICATIONS
Teammate Filippi Will Start 14th In First Long Beach Appearance
(LONG BEACH, Calif.) April 18, 2015 – Qualifying Notes
- Josef Newgarden will start the No. 67 Hartman Oil Chevrolet from the 6th position in tomorrow’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, held in the downtown streets of the California city.
- Luca Filippi will start 14th in the 80-lap event in the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet.
- Newgarden and Filippi were both in Round 1, Group 2 to begin qualifications. A red flag brought the 10 minute segment to an early end, prohibiting Filippi from completing a fast lap on his red Firestone Firehawk tires. The Italian ended the session with the seventh fastest time, while Newgarden managed to get a flying lap in prior to the red flag and advanced to the next round from the fourth position.
- Round 2 saw Newgarden post the second-fastest time, easily advancing to the Firestone Fast 6.
- Today was Newgarden’s sixth appearance in the Fast 6 and first since Sonoma Raceway in 2014. The Nashville, Tenn.-native completed the Firestone Fast 6 with the sixth fastest time and will start from Row 3 in tomorrow’s event.
- This will be Filippi’s first career start around the 1.968-mile, 12-turn street circuit.
- Newgarden started on the front row in Long Beach in only his third Verizon IndyCar Series race in 2012. He was taken out in an incident while leading last year’s event.
- CFH Racing is the defending race-winning team, having captured the victory in the 2014 event with Mike Conway in the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka car.
- The 2015 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach will be broadcast live on NBC Sports Network at 4 p.m. (ET) on Sunday, April 19. The green flag is scheduled for just after 4:30 p.m.
JOSEF NEWGARDEN, NO. 67 HARTMAN OIL CHEVROLET, QUALIFIED 6TH:
Luca Filippi will start his first Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach from the 14th position. The No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka car was the winner of last year’s event.