Filippi Will Start 9th, Newgarden To Start 12th
(AVONDALE, La.) April 11, 2015 – Qualifying Notes
Today’s qualifications for the inaugural Grand Prix of Louisiana were cancelled due to inclement weather.
Heavy rain delayed the start of qualifications, but cars were eventually able to get on track on the 2.74-mile, 13-turn road course. Group 1 was able to complete their 10 minute session; Group 2, which included CFH drivers Josef Newgarden and Luca Filippi, was red flagged due to lightning.
Newgarden had set the fastest lap of Group 2 when the red flag came out. While officials let the clock run out and issued a checkered flag, lap times were thrown out upon the cancellation of the remainder of the session.
Verizon IndyCar Series rules state that when qualifications are cancelled, the field is set based on entrant points.
Based on current point standings, Luca Filippi will start 9th in the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet.
Newgarden will start the No. 67 Hartman Oil Chevrolet from the 12th position for tomorrow’s 75-lap event.
The start of the 2015 Indy Grand Prix of Alabama has been moved up tomorrow. The estimated green flag time is now 1:45 p.m. local and the NBC Sports Network Broadcast will now run from 1:30 – 5 p.m.
JOSEF NEWGARDEN, NO. 67 HARTMAN OIL CHEVROLET, STARTING 12TH: “It’s a shame we couldn’t run the whole session, this is actually a very fun track in the rain. There’s just some drainage issues. It’s a little difficult with the pooling of water in areas, so you get some hydroplaning. I think our car was great. We’ve had good cars here since rolling off the truck and I think they were good in the rain. If it rains tomorrow, we would be alright as we were pretty quick. It’s just a matter if we would be able to make the race work with the drainage. But hopefully we don’t get any rain tomorrow and it just makes it a lot easier on everyone. I think we’re in a good position to try and attack and get a good result tomorrow.”
LUCA FILIPPI, NO. 20 FUZZY’S VODKA CHEVROLET, STARTING 9TH: “Again, the result of St. Petersburg and starting the season well becomes even more important. Regarding today, I think the right call was to do what they did and cancel the rest of the session. From my point of view we have a good car on the wet, so if tomorrow we have a wet race, I am confident. I am looking forward to having a good race.”