Honda Racing Report
Tuesday, March 17, 2014
Verizon IndyCar Series “Spring Training” Open Test
Circuit: Barber Motorsports Park (2.3.-mile road course), Birmingham, Ala.
Weather: Sunny, mild morning, warm afternoon, high 82 degrees F
Top-10 Tuesday Afternoon Test Results:
Ps. Driver Team Manufacturer Best Time Notes
1. Scott Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet 1:07.3996 122.849 mph average
2. Will Power Team Penske Chevrolet 1:07.4984 +0.0988 seconds
3. Helio Castroneves Team Penske Chevrolet 1:07.5304
4. Simon Pagenaud Team Penske Chevrolet 1:07.5956
5. Graham Rahal Rahal Letterman Lanigan Honda 1:07.6203
6. Charlie Kimball Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet 1:07.6225
7. Takuma Sato A.J. Foyt Racing Honda 1:07.6638
8. Juan Pablo Montoya Team Penske Chevrolet 1:07.7109
9. Josef Newgarden Carpenter Fisher Hartman Chevrolet 1:07.7345
10. James Hinchcliffe Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Honda 1:07.7796
Other Honda-powered Results:
13. Carlos Huertas Dale Coyne Racing Honda 1:07.8868
14. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Autosport Honda 1:07.9023
15. Jack Hawksworth A.J. Foyt Racing Honda 1:07.9571
16. Carlos Munoz Andretti Autosport Honda 1:08.0116
17. James Jakes Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Honda 1:08.0252
20. Gabby Chaves-R Bryan Herta Autosport Honda 1:08.1868
21. Marco Andretti Andretti Autosport Honda 1:08.3911
23. Francesco Dracon-R Dale Coyne Racing Honda 1:11.6317 8. Takuma Sato A.J. Foyt Racing Honda Dallara 1:22.7164
Rahal leads Honda Field in Indy Car “Spring Training”
• First test of 2015 featuring full Indy car field
• Honda Indy Car Aero Kit unveiled
• New Honda HI15RTT V6 engine debuts
The Verizon IndyCar Series wrapped up two days of “Spring Training”, the final open test prior to the start of the 2015 race season, Tuesday at Barber Motorsports Park outside of Birmingham, Alabama. Graham Rahal led the way for Honda, posting the fifth-quickest lap time in the final session on Tuesday afternoon, seventh quickest during the full two days.
Driving for A.J. Foyt Racing, veteran Takuma Sato was seventh quickest in the final practice, and 10th for the full test; while James Hinchcliffe made a successful debut with his new Schmidt Peterson Motorsports team, turning the 10th-quickest time in today’s final session. In all, 21 drivers posted times below the pole qualifying time from the 2014 Honda Grand Prix of Alabama.
The 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series opens in two weeks time, with the March 29 Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, Florida.