New GE LIGHT LED to Serve as Primary Partner on Kanaan’s No. 10 Chevrolet at Phoenix International Raceway
Longtime CGRT Partner GE Returns for First INDYCAR Race at PIR in 11 Years
INDIANAPOLIS (March 30, 2016) – Chip Ganassi Racing Teams (CGRT) announced today that Verizon IndyCar Series Champion and Indianapolis 500 Winner Tony Kanaan will be sporting the colors of GE LIGHT LED in Round 2 of the Verizon IndyCar Series this weekend at Phoenix International Raceway (PIR).
As an extension of the long-standing partnership with CGRT, GE will feature the recently introduced GE LIGHT LED branding on the No. 10 Chevrolet.
NOTES OF INTEREST
- GE LED: The lighting industry is undergoing a dramatic transformation spurred by the adoption of LEDs and demand for new, data-driven smart LED solutions. In this time of rapid change, we’re driving the shift to affordable LEDs for consumers. As America’s most trusted lighting brand, GE knows the light consumers love and has reinvented and perfected the LED to emulate incandescent in quality of light, performance and reliability – but with added benefits of energy savings and long life. See more at: GE LE
- All About TK: Tony Kanaan, a 17-time race winner, joined CGRT in 2014 in the No. 10 Chevrolet. In 2014, Kanaan got his first win with CGRT at the season finale at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana and has earned nine podium-finishes over two-years with the team. 2016 will mark Kanaan’s 19thIndy car racing season and he is the all-time Indy car leader in consecutive starts with 250 consecutive dating back to the Portland race in 2001. In 2004, he became the first driver to complete every possible lap in a season en route to winning the championship. Kanaan added his first-ever Rolex 24 At Daytona win in the WeatherTech United SportsCar Championship to his career resume in 2015 alongside INDYCAR teammate Scott Dixon, and his NASCAR teammates Kyle Larson and Jamie McMurray. The Brazilian has 311 Indy car starts, producing 17 wins, 15 poles, 124 top-five and 198 top-10 finishes (1998-Present).
- The No. 10 Indy car:The No. 10 Indy car is one of the most sought after seats in all of motor racing. Former driver Dan Wheldon had six wins, three poles and 17 podiums from 2006-2008 when he took the reins of the car as the defending Verizon IndyCar Series Champion and reigning Indianapolis 500 Winner. Former driver Dario Franchitti added to the car’s lore when he scored a team-record, three-straight Verizon IndyCar Series Championships from 2009-2011, in addition to two Indianapolis 500 wins (2010 and 2012), 13 overall wins, 16 poles and 36 podiums in just five seasons in the seat. The No. 10 made its debut with Target Chip Ganassi Racing in 1993 with Arie Luyendyk behind the wheel and then with NTT DATA Chip Ganassi Racing in 2015 with Tony Kanaan.
- Kanaan at PIR: In Kanaan’s three starts at PIR (2003-2005), he recorded two wins and one third-place finish. In his last appearance at PIR in 2005, he charged through the field from his qualifying position of 21stup to third.
- More about GE: You’ll change your light bulbs a lot less often with LED. Now available at Target stores nationwide, GE LED Bright Stik™ illuminates spaces with light instantly. Its sleek cylindrical shape fits in place of a traditional 60-watt incandescent bulb—and some sockets where a traditional bulb or CFL doesn’t fit. Replace a 60-watt incandescent with an LED Bright Stik and save $6 on energy costs each year. And keep saving for the next 13 years. That’s a long time you can spend not worrying about light bulbs.
Tony Kanaan, Driver, No. 10 GE LIGHT LED Chevrolet: “I can’t get wait to get back to Phoenix this weekend and I’m excited that I’ll be representing GE for the first time at the historic oval. I’ve had a pretty good track record at Phoenix with two wins and another podium-finish, so hopefully I can bring GE a win. I love keeping up on all of the new technology, so it’s great to continue to have a partner on the No. 10 Chevrolet that appreciates and understands the constantly evolving world of technology.”
Daraius Patell, North America Consumer Lighting GM: “With more than a century of engineering and technology that goes into each of our lighting products, we can appreciate the science and physics that go into each Indy car race. That’s why we’re proud to represent Tony and the Chip Ganassi Racing team, and we’ll be cheering for a win this weekend at the oval in Phoenix.”
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include four cars in the Verizon IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, one car in the NASCAR XFINITY Series, two factory Ford GT’s in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, two factory Ford GT’s in the FIA World Endurance Championship and two Supercars in Red Bull Global Rallycross. Overall his teams have 18 championships and 170 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and six Rolex 24 At Daytonas and the 12 Hours of Sebring. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.