22 MENARDS TEAM PENSKE DALLARA/CHEVROLET
IOWA CORN 300
JULY 9, 2016
WINNING POLE NOTES
- This is Simon Pagenaud’s fifth Verizon P1 Pole Award of the season and first of career on the .894-mile oval of Iowa Speedway. He won earlier this season at Barber Motorsports Park, the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and both ends of the Raceway at Belle Isle doubleheader.
- Sixth pole of his Team Penske career having won his first a season ago at Fontana.
- Seventh pole of his Verizon IndyCar Series career.
- Team Penske has won nine of 11 pole awards this season and 20 of the last 25 dating back to last season.
- It is the 500th overall pole win for Team Penske in its 50th year of competition.
- This is the 243rd Verizon IndyCar Series pole win for Team Penske.
- The first Team Penske pole was 8/28/1966 at Mid-Ohio by Mark Donohue (USRRC).
- The first IndyCar pole was 4/4/1970 at Sonoma, California by Mark Donohue.
- The most poles in a single season is 29 for Team Penske (IndyCar -9, NASCAR Sprint Cup -8, ALMS -10, NASCAR XFINITY -2) was 2006.
- Team Penske has earned 10 or more poles for 17 consecutive seasons (2000-present).
- Most IndyCar poles in a single season is 13 (2010).
- Eighteen different drivers to win a IndyCar pole for Team Penske (Donohue, Sneva, Andretti, Mears, B. Unser, Cogan, Unser Sr., Sullivan, Fittipaldi, Tracy, Unser Jr., de Ferran, Hornish, Briscoe, Castroneves, Power, Montoya, Pagenaud).
- The most poles by any Team Penske driver is NASCAR’s Ryan Newman with 57.
- Mark Donohue ranks second with 50.
- Helio Castroneves has the most pole wins (48) for a current Team Penske driver.
- Team Penske has won at least one pole in 48 of 50 seasons.