Team Placed 1-2 In Most Recent Non-Oval Event; Led 2014 Race at Mid-Ohio
- After placing one-two in the most recent non-oval event, CFH Racing has high hopes for this weekend’s Honda Indy 200. Josef Newgarden and Luca Filippi will make the quick drive over to Lexington, Ohio for the 14th round of the Verizon IndyCar Series season this weekend at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Newgarden’s No. 67 Chevrolet will return to it’s Hartman Oil colors while Filippi climbs back into the No. 20 Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet.
- Newgarden started on the front row of last year’s Honda Indy 200, taking the lead on Lap 62. He made his third and final pit stop on Lap 65, but was forced to serve a drive-through penalty after running over an air hose. Newgarden had to settle for a 12th place result.
- Filippi made his Verizon IndyCar Series debut at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on August 4, 2013 driving for Bryan Herta Autosport. He started 24th and finished 16th.
- Prior to this season, Filippi only had eight total IndyCar starts, only two of which came on tracks on the 2015 schedule. At the other circuit he had previous experience on, the streets of Toronto, Filippi claimed his first IndyCar podium with a 2nd place finish.
- Newgarden is in the midst of the best season of his Verizon IndyCar Series career, including two strong performances at the previous two races. At the Milwaukee Mile, Newgarden won his first pole position and claimed a top five finish; at Iowa Speedway, he led the most laps of any driver and finished 2nd. He also earned his first two IndyCar wins in a span of seven races.
- The IndyCar Series has been on a stretch of three oval races with team co-owner Ed Carpenter taking over the No. 20, joining Newgarden as his teammate. At the last non-oval race in Toronto on June 14, CFH Racing claimed its first one-two finish with Filippi finishing 1.4 second behind Newgarden.
- Newgarden, 24, has led the most laps of any driver in the Verizon IndyCar Series this year with 296 (220 in the previous two races). He currently sits 8th in the championship standings; 2nd through 8th are separated by a mere 51 points with three races left in the season.
- Much has changed for Filippi since Toronto, his most recent outing in the Fuzzy’s Vodka Chevrolet. Filippi and his wife Elisa welcomed their first child, daughter Mia, on July 13. The celebrations will continue for Filippi as his 30th birthday falls next weekend on August 9.
- The 2015 Honda Indy 200 will feature 90 laps around the 2.258-mile, natural terrain road course. The race is scheduled to be broadcast live on CNBC at 1:30 p.m. ET.
LUCA FILIPPI, NO. 20 FUZZY’S VODKA CHEVROLET: “In the last two races, CFH Racing has been very strong and we have good momentum behind us. After our 1-2 in Toronto and the team’s strong finish last weekend in Iowa, I expect that we will be strong from the start of the weekend. My learning process so far this season has been gradual but always improving race by race. I’ve raced this circuit previously, like Toronto, so it will be an advantage for me to go there and start on the same level as everyone else. I know the team is capable of fighting for the podium in Mid-Ohio but the ultimate goal is the best result possible, I want to win that race. I am really looking forward to it and I am really motivated. My family is growing and I really want to bring my newborn home her first trophy!”
JOSEF NEWGARDEN, NO. 67 HARTMAN OIL CHEVROLET: “Mid-Ohio is going to be a fun weekend to get back in the mix. It’s been a little while since we have been on a road course track. Mid-Ohio is one of the best; it’s truly one of the greatest tracks in North America. We had a strong event there last year so we should be able to put really good racecars on the track this year. It will be interesting to see who gets up to speed quickest after coming off such a long stretch of oval races. I have a tremendous amount of confidence in our group and we should be able to hit the ground running.”